While I was in college I remember seeing this cartoon (above). During one of the computer programming lessons we were discussing communication. To this day, I have kept this photo. I cannot count how many daily life occurrences have made me think of this drawing. I mean everything from customer service, to one on one interactions that did not end as desired. The point is, ensure proper communications.
The cycle is very simple (there are a lot more steps but it is essentially these key points):
- Sender conveys messages based on personal interpretation
- Receiver translates message based on personal interpretation
- Feedback is issued from receiver to sender
- Feedback received redirects
- Sender redirects to affirm or correct (starts process over)
- Message accepted; close
The most important step in ANY communication cycle is the feedback from receiver to sender for verification. A good practice that I have adhered to when the feedback is questionable is to ask the receiver to repeat the instructions / message. A good way to ensure understanding is by demonstration; it is easy to listen but true understanding is demonstrated.
- Communicating with Authority (stageofengagement.com)
- The Art of Communication (stageofengagement.com)
- Communication Skills (limtokkboy.wordpress.com)
- Psychology – The Communication (socyberty.com)